A few interesting developments for Blake in these last days. Yesterday he tentatively tried walking down and up a small (4 inch/10cm) step without wanting to hold my hand or a vertical surface for support, and after a few fails, is now traversing single steps easily with good balance.
He said his first spontaneous colour word today (without mimicry) ~ 'Green!' when I put his green jeans on him this morning. We were playing a counting game earlier, and when asked what number came next, he constantly answered with, 'eight.' I was most surprised that he got it right a few days ago when I asked what came after 7, and he answered, 'eight,' but now I understand why he got it right. When the answer is always eight, he supposes he'll be right at least some of the time! This is new for Blake ~ making a guess, or saying or pointing to anything if he is unsure of the answer. Usually he says little, or stops pointing specifically to things if he is not positive of the answer, and starts just a general sweep of his hand over the page.
At the moment he is wandering about with a watch, saying, 'Tic-toc, tic-toc.' His watch obsession continues ~ an hour ago I was unable to get him to put the watch down long enough to do some finger-painting. He's getting good at stickers ~ good enough to peel them all off the backing when I'm not looking, and put them all over the couch and chairs (and Daddy's back)! This happened while we were at my parents place recently. While there, we went for our 6th or 7th pony-ride. I can't get him settled on the pony without me, though, (and his little legs only come halfway down the saddle), so it's into the front-side baby carrier each time we ride. It used to be easy to keep him amused while I saddled Tosh, but now he's dashing about and the feed shed only keeps him amused for so long before he's almost under the pony's hooves again. Luckily the pony we ride is my pony from childhood, trained in dressage to a high degree, and over 30yo now. He won't bat an eyelid when Blake gets too close, yells or sings as we ride, or lurches and puts us off balance as we walk along. I'm hoping Blake starts to get the confidence to sit on Tosh alone as I hold him there and lead him around. I just need to be patient, I suppose, and not push him before he's ready, risking his interest in pottering through the bush astride a big furry teddy-bear of a pony.
![]() |
| Riding Tosh when Blake was around 8mo |
I've had some interest in this general Blakey-blog, and many comments on my patience with him, and how much fun we seem to have together. I am aware that many parents and grandfolk are truly mystified and frustrated by their toddlers, and befuddled as to how to manage them, and have fun rather than aggravation much of the day, so I'm starting a toddler 'positive parenting ideas' blog. Here's the link:
http://toddler-tactics.blogspot.com.au/
Thank you for reading; for your interest and feedback.



No comments:
Post a Comment